08 April 2012

my Easter break bake.

I spend so much time in the kitchen these days. There is always lots of food prep to be done and plenty of new recipes to try out. I aim to cook something new at least once a week. This may not sound like much, but when life gets busy I tend to stick with the old favourites and all of a sudden we are eating the same thing week after week. Having a toddler with a huge appetite is a great challenge because he gets bored of eating the same thing extremely quickly. 

In the spirit of Easter I was keen to finally try out the recipe for Teresa Cutter's Healthy Hot Cross Buns


Now I haven't had the best of luck making my own bread in the past  - Rob never hesitates to remind me of the cracked tooth incident which he maintains was a result of one of my past attempts at making homemade lunch rolls! And although I have a weakness for the traditional bakery-bought variety, I was keen to test out a much healthier version. I'm pretty happy with the result:



After a sneaky taste test I can proudly report that all of my teeth remain intact. They aren't as good-looking as the originals but they are delicious!

Any choc-filled holiday would not be complete without the delicious raw brownie from one of my all-time favourite food blogs, My New Roots. This one's an oldie but a goodie. If I'm making a batch for Noah I will sometimes use carob instead of cacao, which contains trace amounts of caffeine (as well as Theobromine which has a similar effect).



I also roll it the mixture into small balls instead of pressing it into a tray - much easier and cleaner for small hands to work with!


Too easy. One or two of these balls after dinner has even replaced my daily chocolate fix. They're that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment